Inventory of Medical Equipment
The establishment of an inventory of medical equipment is the first and perhaps the most important action in implementing management processes for monitoring and control of medical equipment.
In order to unambiguously identify a medical device, the inventory of medical equipment must include information on:
- Device Category and Group according to a well established Nomenclature and Codification System (UMDNS or GMDN)
- Serial number
- Hospital department
- Date of installation, etc.
The information gathered is recorded in an electronic format allowing direct import into the Medical Equipment Management System used in the hospital.
The medical equipment inventory must also be accompanied by a barcode which, in combination with the use of wireless electronic devices, provides a wide range of possibilities to manage devices and information related to them. Such options include the direct and fast identification of all device items on site, the rapid updating of the inventory whenever necessary, the standardization of the codification procedures, etc.
Experience in large scale Medical Equipment Inventory projects:
- Nationwide - all Greek NHS hospitals (1999)
- RHS Central Greece (2002)
- RHS Cyclades (2002)
- A' RHS Attica (2003)
- RHS Western Greece (2003)
- RHS Thessaly (2003)
- 5 hospitals and 206 health units of IKA (nationwide) (2003)
Odos Stadiou, Platani, 265 00 Rio, Patras, Greece
Tel. +30 2610 911590 911591, Fax. +30 2610 911592